Thursday, March 14, 2013

All We Need is Love...

All we need is love, right? OK, that maybe true in its ideal essence. But let's be honest. What is real love? I am finding that real love has a balance of both toughness and tenderness. When I was growing up, my parents were both on opposite side of the spectrum when it came to child rearing. My father was extremely tough; whereas, my mother was much more tender than tough. So it was a little confusing for me at times. They did their best with what they knew and meant well. When I became a mother myself, let's just say I had a little difficulty of finding my own path in becoming a parent.  But I am thankful for some wonderful teachers that God placed in my life: my husband, my children, and the Holy Ghost.

After some trial and error, I realized that we all need a balance of tough and tender love. It should be received in a positive manner that can enrich your life. Tough love can be shown through correction is necessary to help us to grow and change for the better. Tender love can be shown through support, nurturing, and compassion. Especially in child rearing, tough love is important to ensure that you gain respect from your children. And tenderness balances the unconditional love equation by letting them know that in spite of it all that they are valued and special.

So when the bible mentions speaking the truth in love, it does not necessarily mean that it is weak in your approach. Because even God has been tough in how He told the truth in love to His children.

"but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ." Ephesians 4:15 (NKJV)

"because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son." Hebrews 12:6 (NIV)

"Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent." Revelation 3:19 (NIV)


The goal of real love is that it sure help you grow up and mature.  So I am grateful for the teachers God placed in my life that know how to both show me tough love to empower me and tender love to value me.  In a positive sense, it's the best of both worlds. So again I say, all we need is love. Real love...

Once again from your strange girl,
Elder Twanna House

(c) 2013 The Chronicles of a Strange Girl by Elder Twanna House

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting what we bring to our parenting from our own parents. Somet good, some bad. It's a journey for certain!

    ReplyDelete